~~~~~~~~The Shining India~~~~~~~~~
- India was the richest country on earth till the British invasion in the 17th century.
- India has never invaded any country in her last 10,000 year history.
- India invented the Number System. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
- The world’s first university was established in Takshila in 700BC. More than 10,000 students from all over the world studied over 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
- Sanskrit is the mother of all European languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software (report in Forbes magazine, July 1987)
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to man. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place in society.
- The art of Navigation was born in the river Sindh 6000 years ago. The very word ‘Navigation’ is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit ‘Nou’.
- Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century) 365.258756484 days.
- The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European mathematicians.
- Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus came from India; Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th century; The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 (10 to the power 6) whereas Indians used numbers as big as 1053 (10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BC during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera 1012 (10 to the power of 12).
- According to the Gemological Institute of America, up until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds to the world.
- USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century-old suspicion in the world scientific community that the pioneer of Wireless communication was Prof. Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.
- The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation was built in Saurashtra, Gujarat (Western India). According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150BC a beautiful lake called ‘Sudarshana’ was constructed on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya’s time.
- Chess (Shataranj or Ashtapada) was invented in India.
- Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted complicated surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery. Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India. Over 125 surgical implements were used. A deep knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.
- When many cultures were nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established the Harappan culture in the Sidhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization).
- The place value system, the decimal system was developed in India in 100 BC.
- Albert Einstein said: We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.
- Mark Twain said: India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most structive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.
- French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face of the earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.
- Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA said: India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border.
- When the Maharaja of Patiala was snubbed by snooty British salesmen at a Rolls Royce showroom in the U.K., he hit back by buying up the entire consignment of 50 vehicles on display and turning them into garbage trucks back home. An English paper printed a picture and the story that made company representatives scurrying to Patiala with an olive branch.
Akshay Kumar dialogue in Namaste London when he is talking to the British man at the party and he talks about India’s achievements?
Mr PringIe, he’d Iike to teII you
something about India…
When we greet one another,
we foId our hands in namastey…
because we beIieve…
that God resides in the heart
of every human being.
We come from a nation where we aIIow
a Iady of CathoIic origin…
to step aside for a Sikh
to be sworn in as Prime Minister…
to a MusIim President to govern
a nation of over 80 percent Hindus.
It may aIso interest you
to know that…
many of the origins to your words
come from Sanskrit.
maatr becomes mother…
bhratr becomes brother,
giamiti becomes geometry
trikonniti becomes trigonometry.
We have 5600 newspapers…
magazines in over twenty-one
different Ianguages…with a combined readership of over 120 miIIion.
We have reached the moon and back,
you people still feel that we’ve onIy
reached as far as the Indian rope trick
We are the third largest pool in the word of doctors, engineers and scientists.
Maybe your grandfather
didn’t teII you that…
we have the third Iargest army
in the worId.
And even then, I foId my hands
in humiIity before you…
because we don’t beIieve we are
above or beneath any individuaI.